I completed my doctorate training at the University of Manchester and qualified in 2005. In my varied experience in NHS and private sector mental health services, I developed expertise in adult mental health, substance misuse, personality disorder and risk assessment.
I worked for a mental health NHS Trust for 8 years and moved around to seek new challenges in different teams in the community, inpatient services, prisons and secure forensic settings. I was then appointed as a consultant clinical psychologist and clinical lead in a private sector hospital.
My current practice is focused on providing psychological therapy and a range of specialist assessments for the Court. In addition, I offer consultation services and bespoke training to organisations.
I pride myself on providing a personal service, getting to the crux of a problem, and treating each client as the individual they are. I love seeing people achieve their goals and amaze themselves.
Professional registration and membership
[icon name=”quote-left” class=”” unprefixed_class=””]
“Dr Bruce is an outstanding provider of supervision and training. In both fields of clinical practice and medicolegal reports, her name is synonymous with quality. I have no hesitation in recommending her.”
Dr Fairuz Awenat, Taylor-Awenat Ltd
Why choose me as your therapist?
- Skilled and experienced in integrating different models of therapy to effectively treat clients’ problems
- A strong background in Cognitive Behaviour Therapy (CBT), the predominant evidence-based approach in the UK for a wide range of psychological difficulties
- 14 years of post-qualification experience further developing my skills in clinical practice
- Trained and skilled in Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT) for working with anxiety and depression, PTSD and complex trauma, a range of other difficulties and for professional coaching in the workplace
- Trained in Eye Movement Desensitisation and Reprocessing (EMDR) to treat PTSD and trauma symptoms
Since training in ACT in 2015, this approach has transformed how I work with people in therapy. I often integrate ACT with the effective components of traditional CBT, for example when working with eating problems, OCD, and alcohol and drug use.
Why choose me as an expert witness?
- Extensive experience in providing specialist psychological assessment reports from 14 years in clinical practice
- I have prepared expert witness reports for civil, family and criminal legal proceedings
- Trained by leading experts in the field of personality disorder and risk assessment
- Experienced in the assessment of risk of violence, suicide and self harm, spousal violence, and other risk behaviours
- Trained as an expert witness with Bond Solon. You can view my profile on the Bond Solon national register of certified expert witnesses here.